What is Gear Hobbing Machine?
Hobbing is a machining process for gear cutting, cutting splines, and cutting sprockets on a hobbing machine, which is a special type of milling machine. The teeth or splines are progressively cut into the workpiece by a series of cuts made by a cutting tool called a hob. Compared to other gear forming processes it is relatively inexpensive but still quite accurate, thus it is used for a broad range of parts and quantities.
It is the most widely used gear cutting process for creating spur and helical gears and more gears are cut by hobbing than any other process as it is relatively quick and inexpensive.
A type of skiving that is analogous to the hobbing of external gears can be applied to the cutting of internal gears, which are skived with a rotary cutter (rather than shaped or broached).
Related Industry Knowledge
- What is Metal Lathe?
- How does Hobbing Machine Process work?
- What is Hobbing Machine Equipment?
- What is Outlines Types of Hobs?
- What is Hobbing USE?
- What is CNC Gear shaping machine?
- How does the Worm Grinding Wheel Grinder work?
- How does Horizontal Lathes Machine work?
- What used for of Vertical Lathe Machine?
- How many kinds of CNC Lathe?
- The difference between Mini-Lathe and Micro-Lathe?